St. Stephen's Anglican Church

St. Stephen's: Over 150 years of pioneering Christian spirit. On February 11, 1862 William Thomson, one of the early settlers in the Mount Newton valley, deeded five acres of land to the Right Reverend George Hills, Bishop of British Columbia, for the purpose of building a church and a school. On June 3rd of the same year, the church held its dedication and first service. The church was built of California redwood and construction was a true community effort. From the beginning St Stephen's has held a special place in the hearts of the people of the area. Many of the first settlers are buried next to the church and some of their descendants continue to call the church their spiritual home. To the best of our knowledge, St Stephen’s is the oldest church in the Diocese of British Columbia used continuously as a place of worship. In 1984 the church was designated a Heritage Building by the District of Central Saanich. St. Stephen's is a heritage building located in the Mount Newton valley. Sunday worship is 11am with a children's program. The service is more informal, with music led by the congregation, accompanied by piano and organ. A band made up of guitars and drums leads the worship on the 4th Sunday of the month, in the church hall.

Address / Contact Info

Anglican Parish of Central Saanich
7921 St. Stephen Rd PO Box 162 Saanichton, BCV8M 1R7

Phone Numbers

Phone : (250) 652-4311

Hours of Operation

Regular hours: Fri 11;30-1:00

Web Links

Location Map

This program was last updated on 03 Feb 2016.